Our Work For You
Citizens for California High Speed Rail Accountability (CCHSRA) has been a leader in making the California High-Speed Rail Authority accountable to the public for its planning, spending, and actions.
- A leading plaintiff in a lawsuit in which a Sacramento County Superior Court judge ruled in 2013 that the California High-Speed Rail Authority failed to comply with state law (Proposition 1A) and needed to correct its failures before it could borrow $9.95 billion by selling bonds. (The decision was later overturned by an appeals court.)
- A leading defendant in the California High-Speed Rail Authority’s lawsuit against “all persons interested” to validate the state’s issuing of $9.95 billion in state bonds and derail any future litigation against the bond sales. A Sacramento County Superior Court judge ruled that the California High-Speed Rail Authority could not sell the bonds. (The decision was later overturned by an appeals court.)
- Organizing our community to speak as one voice about our concerns and circumvent the California High-Speed Rail Authority’s efforts to divide and conquer us one-by-one.
- Providing encouragement and support for members of Congress, state legislators, and local elected officials who have tried to make the California High-Speed Rail Authority accountable for its actions and have been politically attacked in response.
- Building alliances with other organizations and individuals in California who realized as we did that the High-Speed Rail Authority and its representatives don’t want full transparency or accountability to the public for their activities.
- Helping to expose the failures of the California High-Speed Rail Authority to the news media and the public, particularly through public comments at Authority board meetings and press events in the Central Valley.
- Serving as an information clearinghouse about California High-Speed Rail through tools such as this web site, so that the public doesn’t have to depend on the taxpayer-funded public relations programs of the High-Speed Rail Authority.
- Extracting California High-Speed Rail from political and ideological manipulation and refocusing the project as a reliable, cost-effective, and reasonably fast option for transportation within the State of California.